I’m so excited to officially be writing our first post on The Beard and The Baker. I’m also overly excited to share that our kickoff of this Columbus blog was announced on Good Day Columbus this past Friday! Joel (The Beard) and I (The Baker) want to share our favorite barrel aged comfort food recipes with you and today we are starting with a few of our best dishes, tailgate chicken wings and an autumnal beer cocktail.
We live in a football town (Go Buckeyes!) which means we know tailgate food (and drinks) like the back of our hands. Everyone says they have the best chicken wing recipe, but we think ours is pretty darn good too. I mean The Football Fever analyst, Jimmie Bell couldn’t keep his hands off of them and I think that’s one of the best compliments out there.
The trick behind these babies is that you’re going to broil them instead of straight baking or frying. They might be a little bit healthier but honestly, that’s not the point. The point is that they get crispy, delicious and you won’t be able to eat just one. Once they cool down, you’re going to want to sauce them up to your liking. In our household, our go to is Wing-Time buffalo sauce which can be addicting once you taste it. Seriously, this sauce is the perfect addition to eggs, any form of potato, pretzels, straight from the bottle… you get the point.
Alright, now to the best part of the post, a seasonal cocktail. I’ve been really into making homemade cocktails lately so when the lovely Alexis from Good Day Columbus asked us to come on the show, I immediately knew I wanted to make one. It’s October so I had to channel my inner basic white girl and make something with pumpkin. I drew inspiration from one of our favorite breweries, Zauber, who makes some of the best beer cocktails in Columbus. I should probably have come up with a better name for the cocktail but Autumnal Beer Cocktail seems to really nail it on the head. Ginger beer, pumpkin beer, apple cider and bourbon, could it get more autumnal than that?
I think the best thing about these two recipes is that they are perfect for a cozy night at home watching football on tv with your honey or making a huge batch of them each for your big tailgate party with the whole crew. Just make sure you have an Uber on speed dial when you make that cocktail, it can be dangerously delicious.
- 2 cups flour
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 24 chicken wings
- Favorite wing sauce like Wing-Time Hot
- Put flour in large container that has a lid then season it with salt, black pepper and paprika.
- Combine well.
- Put wings in a container with seasoned flour, cover and shake until wings are fully coated.
- Sit covered wings in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spray cookie sheet with oil and then place wings on it.
- Spray oil on wings to get the flour a bit wet.
- With the broil on high, cook the wings on the top oven rack for 7 minutes per side.
- Watch wings every few minutes and lower or flip if they begin to brown too fast.
- After the second side has cooked, remove from oven and let cool for a minute or two.
- Place in container with your favorite wing sauce, cover container and shake until wings are sauced to your liking.
- Serve with lots of napkins, beer and football.
- 1 Crabbie's Ginger Beer
- 1 Sideswipe Pumpkin Beer
- 8 oz. Apple Cider
- 6 oz. Favorite Bourbon
- Cinnamon Stick
- Mix ginger beer, pumpkin beer, apple cider and bourbon together in glass with ice.
- Strain into drinking class filled with ice.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick.