TACOS. I’m not sure if I am just paying more attention now or if the taco scene is actually getting more creative. Either way, I am super into it. There are some great spots like Local Cantina, Los Gauchos (MY FAV) and Yabo’s Tacos. But, there is nothing as good as spicing it up in the kitchen to make a new recipe. We make a Mexican dish about once a week in our household. Which means we are always looking for inspiration to make something new, like these jerk chicken tacos.
While we were waltzing around the new Kroger Marketplace on Morse Road, this recipe popped into our heads. Side note, we love grocery stores. Maybe it’s because we met at one (what up, Whole Foods). Or it could be that you never know what kind of special ingredient you’re going to find to inspire you. Either way, wandering around grocery stores is our therapy. In my opinion, this new Kroger is trying to rival the local Saraga and really highlight their ethnic offerings.
But, I’m totally fine with it because that’s how we find wonderful new items like this Pedro Plains Chaos Jerk Seasoning. If you can’t find this one at your local grocery store, don’t worry! You can totally substitute for any other jerk marinade that sounds tasty to you. I know that Walkerswood is pretty popular. We’ve used it before and had great results. But, sometimes you just gotta try something new. Especially when it comes to basic chicken tacos. After you settle on your tried and true jerk marinade, you’ll get to cooking. Which is obviously why you came here in the first place! This recipe is so simple and easy, literally just three ingredients. As a result, we have to add a little something fun instead of just the typical taco ingredients. The Beard is into quick pickling items, which is great because I love that flavor profile.
Follow the recipe below to make some quick pickled red onions for your chicken tacos. Or you can toss in any other type of veggie you want to have a little bit of acidic tartness. When you are finished up with your chicken and your onions, go ahead and prep your flour tortillas. You can definitely use corn tortillas if you want. Regardless of what shell you use, you’ll want to brown them a bit in a pan to add a little extra flavor. When you finish up with that task, toss in your chicken and onions and you’re ready to go!
- 1 1/4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 Tablespoons Pedro Plains Chaos Jerk Seasoning
- 1-2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 4-8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Put chicken in large gallon ziplock bag. Add jerk seasoning. Zip and mix up until completely covered.
- Put bag in fridge and marinate overnight.
- Next day, add canola oil to pan and heat. Then, add whole chicken thighs to pan and cook on medium until chicken is at 165 degrees F.
- Remove from pan, place on cutting board and let cool for a minute or two. Chop chicken and add to tacos with pickled onions.
- Slice onions into desired size and place inside glass jar.
- Add vinegar, water and sugar to a medium size pot. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Then, carefully pour mixture over sliced onion and cover for at least 30 minutes.
- You can substitute other Jerk seasonings, but we found that this one was pretty perfect! See post for more details on this.
- Any glass jar will do. If you use a mason jar, you may need multiple since this makes a hefty amount!
- You can "pickle" these longer than 30 minutes but they will get more vinegar flavored the longer you let them sit.