I love buffalo chicken sandwiches. I actually judge restaurants by the deliciousness of their buffalo chicken sandwiches. Top 3? Rockmill Tavern, Rusty Bucket and Rooster’s. Well, that was until we made these ones at home in our air fryer! For Christmas, I bought The Beard this Phillips air fryer with the intention that we’d use it about once a month. Nope. It’s a game changer. Not only is it a great replacement for the messy act of frying in oil, we also air fry things that we would typically bake. Everything gets oh, so, crispy.
Anything fried is really only as good as its’ breading. Sometimes, I think we have the tendency to over bread items because we think it makes it crunchier. It’s really quite the opposite! For this sandwich, we marinated our chicken in some Sweet Baby Ray’s Buffalo Sauce and then dipped it in our seasoned flour. It’s just lightly covered but packed with a whole bunch of flavor.
My only complaint about some restaurants’ buffalo chicken sandwiches is that the buffalo sauce is only on the outside. I dp understand that they do this just in case customers don’t enjoy spicy food and want something a bit plainer. But, we don’t have anyone like that in our household, so extra spicy it is! Not pictured here is the amount of buffalo sauce that I poured all over the air fried chicken.
Finish off your buffalo chicken sandwich with some crisp lettuce, a dollop of mayo, a soft bun, and you are set. Well, and a pickle. You could really apply this recipe to any sauce and fried chicken. I would actually love to recreate the Spicy Chicken Go-Wrap from our hometown fast food joint with this recipe!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/4 - 1/2 bottle of sauce, enough to cover chicken
- burger buns
- Marinate chicken in sauce for a minimum of one hour, up to 24 hours.
- Mix flour with all spices and set aside.
- Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees.
- When ready, remove marinated chicken and dredge in flour mixture until fully coated. Shake off excess flour.
- In batches of two, in a single layer, fry chicken in air fryer for 15 minutes. Shake pan every 3-5 minutes to make sure it doesn't stick.
- After chicken is done, assemble your sandwiches with desired toppings. Pour extra buffalo sauce on sandwich, as needed, or dip it!